The 2018 Fulbright-EPA Award in Water, Climate Change or Sustainability is now open! (Deadline: 31/10/2017)
The Irish Research Council-EPA Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship programme 2018: In partnership with the Irish Research Council, we will fund research under the pillars of climate, water and sustainability. The deadline for applications is the 1st November 2017.
EPA-DIT PhD Scholarship Co-Fund 2017: We are co-funding a PhD on 'Ammonia cycling and emerging particulate matter pollutants under arable land-use management: A modelling approach' with Dublin Institute of Technology. Applications muct be submitted directly to DIT by the 23rd of October 2017.
- Water Joint Programming Initiative 2017 Joint Call: The Water JPI will launch its new Joint Call on the topic “Water resource management in support of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals” in September 2017.
- Belmont Forum and BiodivERsA 2017 Joint Call: The Belmont Forum and BiodivERsA have announced the launch of their joint call on the theme of: Scenarios of biodiversity and ecosystem services in October 2017.
The 2017 Research Call is closed and awards will be made in November 2017.
Details of the call can be found on our Research Call 2017 webpage, or you can view the EPA Research Call 2017 Documentation.
About EPA Funding
The EPA’s current Research Programme 2014–2020 provides funding under three pillars -Sustainability, Climate and Water.
This is facilitated through the annual EPA Research Call, which is announced between April and June each year
- Climate research is about informing actions on, and improving engagement with, the diverse challenges posed by climate change under four areas: (i) Management of Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Sinks; (ii) Ireland’s Future Climate, Its Impacts and Adaptation Options; (iii) Socio-economic and Technological Solutions; and (iv) Air Science. It also aims to identify and advance opportunities that arise from addressing these challenges.
- Water research is about supporting relevant water policy and protecting our water environment, contributing to achieving excellent water quality in Ireland, and is organised under five areas: (i) Safe Water; (ii) Ecosystem Services and Sustainability; (iii) Innovative Water Technologies; (iv) Understanding, Managing and Conserving our Water Resources; and (v) Emerging and Cross-cutting Issues.
- Sustainability research is about achieving a high quality of life in a resource-efficient Ireland, and is organised under four areas: (i) Resource Efficiency; (ii) Health and Wellbeing; (iii) Socio-economics; and (iv) Natural Capital and Ecosystems.
There are currently over 200 active research projects funded by the EPA. Information about these projects can be accessed through the EPA Research project database.
Projects funded by the EPA Research 2014 – 2020 programme are required to comply with “Green” or “Gold” open access standards.
Research projects are required to upload datasets and outputs onto the SAFER-Data Research Data Archive, where it is available for public viewing.
As well as providing funding under the pillars, we also provide funding for:
- Green Enterprise
- Scholarship Funding Opportunities
- Event Support