EPA Waste Data Release, 20 December 2017
Latest Reference Year 2016
The amount of hazardous waste managed increased by 18% from 345 ktonnes in 2015 to 409 ktonnes in 2016 due to a significant increase in contaminated soils, most of which was exported for treatment. There has been a steady increase in the export of hazardous waste for treatment since 2014. The amount treated at commercial hazardous waste treatment facilities has remained steady, while there has been a reduction of hazardous waste treated on-site of generation at industrial installations.
Quantity of contaminated soil treated, 2010 - 2016
Exports (excluding contaminated soil)
- 186 ktonnes of hazardous waste was exported in 2016 compared to 166 ktonnes in 2015 (11% increase). Combustion waste exports increased from 1 ktonne to 15 ktonnes (mainly cement kiln dust) and unused medicines increased from 3.5 ktonnes to 10 ktonnes.
- 64 ktonnes of exported waste went for disposal (34%) while 122 ktonnes went for recovery (66%).
- 90% of the exported waste went to UK, Germany or Belgium; a similar trend to previous years.
- Solvents accounted for 23% of exports, followed by waste electrical and electronic equipment (17%) and combustion waste (8%).
Treated on-site of generation
- 52 ktonnes of hazardous waste was treated on-site of generation compared to 65 ktonnes in 2015. The decrease was largely due to a 25% reduction in solvent waste treated on-site. There is a movement away from solvent-based chemistry to water-based chemistry in the pharmaceutical industry. A change in production process has also led to reduction in solvent use.
- 28 ktonnes was disposed (compared to 34 ktonnes in 2015) and 24 ktonnes was recovered (compared to 31 ktonnes in 2015). The decrease in recovery is due to the decrease in solvent waste recovery.
- Solvent waste and waste of naturally-occurring minerals make up 93% of the hazardous wastes treated on-site.
Solvent waste treated on-site of generation, 2010 to 2016
Treated at commercial waste treatment facilities (excluding contaminated soil)
- 91 ktonnes of hazardous waste was treated at commercial waste treatment facilities in 2016 which is similar to 2015.
- The main hazardous waste types treated were solvents (16%), oils/water emulsion/sludges (19%), used motor oils (18%), human infectious health care wastes (11%) and waste electrical and electronic equipment (10%).
- 10 ktonnes of human infectious healthcare wastes was treated and most was sent for incineration.
Treatment of contaminated soils
- The quantity of contaminated soil managed rose from 20 ktonnes in 2015 to 81 ktonnes in 2016. 1 ktonne was treated in Ireland and the rest was exported. Over 90% was exported to Belgium and Germany.
Hazardous waste treatment routes, 2010 - 2016
|Exported for treatment||476||2,590||10,203||3,638||7,659||5,701||14,329||79,591|
|Treated in Ireland||12,428||6,260||7,094||4,426||4,830||1,630||5,938||628|
|Facility||Register Number||Principal class of activity||Waste type generated and treated on-site||Recovery or Disposal Code||Quantity treated 2015 (tonnes)||Quantity treated 2016 (tonnes)|
|Astellas Ireland Co. Ltd||P0007-03||Chemicals||Solvents||D10||129||163|
|Aqueous washing liquids and mother liquors (07__01*)||D10||387||275|
|Aughinish Alumina Ltd||P0035-04||Chemicals||Salts and salt cake||D1||19,201||18,304|
|BASF Ireland Ltd||P0052-02||Chemicals||Other industrial hazardous waste||R1||3,040||3,577|
|Guerbet Ireland Unlimited Company||P0050-02||Chemicals||Solvents||R2||8,482||6,727|
|Solvents (halogenated where specified)||D9||143||153|
|MSD International GmbH||P0011-04||Chemicals||Solvents||D8||749||816|
|MSD International GmbH trading as MSD Ireland||P0015-05||Chemicals||Solvents||R1||1,044||643|
|Merck Millipore Ltd||P0571-02||Surface coatings||Solvents||R2||1,968||2,294|
|Novartis Ringaskiddy Ltd||P0006-03||Chemicals||Absorbents, wiping cloths||D10||20||17|
|Packaging (contaminated or containing residues)||D10||13||12|
|Laboratory and general chemical waste||D10||13||16|
|Aqueous washing liquids and mother liquors (07__01*)||D10||246||148|
|Pfizer Ireland Pharmaceuticals||P0013-04||Chemicals||Solvents||R2||2,308||2,455|
|Roche Ireland Ltd||P0012-04||Chemicals||Solvents||R1||3,787||2,510|
|Smithkline Beecham (Cork) Ltd||P0004-03||Chemicals||Solvents||D10||3,571||3,699|
|Temmler Ireland Ltd||P0813-02||Surface Coatings||Solvents||R2||3,685||337|
|Solid wastes from MFSU of pharmaceuticals (07 05 13*)||R3||0||94|
|Irish Industrial Explosives Ltd||P0055-02||Chemicals||Waste explosives||D10||2||2|
|Zenith Energy Bantry Bay||P0419-01||Fossil fuels||Oils||R9||135||0|
|Source: Pollutant Release and Transfer Registers and Annual Environmental Reports|
|Facility name||Authorisation number||Description of activities|
|SRCL Ltd.||W0054-02||Physico-chemical treatment (sterilisation of clinical/veterinary waste)|
|Enva Ireland Ltd. t/a MacAnulty (Dublin)||W0196-01||Physico-chemical treatment (various oil and aqueous hazardous waste streams)|
|Physico-chemical treatment (neutralisation of various hazardous wastes and precipitation of reactions which produce a non-hazardous sludge)|
|Enva Ireland Ltd. t/a Enva (Portlaoise)||W0184-01||Bioremediation of wastes containing heavy metals & bioremediation and trommelling of soils & stones|
|Used oil refining|
|Enva Ireland Ltd. (Shannon)||W0041-01||Physico-chemical treatment (neutralisation of various hazardous wastes and precipitation of reactions which produce a non-hazardous sludge)|
|Bioremediation of wastes containing heavy metals & bioremediation and trommelling of soils & stones|
|Indaver Ireland Ltd. (Dublin Port)||W0036-02||Solvent reclamation/regeneration (blending)|
|Irish Lamp Recycling Co. Ltd.||WFP-KE-14-0072-01||Dismantling waste electrical and electronic equipment into constituents|
|KMK Metals Recycling Ltd.||W0113-04||Dismantling waste electrical and electronic equipment into constituents and its storage prior to transfer for recovery|
|Rilta Environmental Ltd.||W0192-03||Physico-chemical treatment|
|Used oil refining|
|Rilta Environmental Ltd.||W0185-01||Treatment of transformers|
|Soltec (Ireland) Ltd.||W0115-01||Solvent reclamation/regeneration (used in the production of thinners)|
|SRCL Ltd.||W0055-02||Recycling/reclamation of organic substances which are not used as solvents (healthcare risk waste is shredded and disinfected using steam)|
|The Recycling Village Ltd.||WFP-MH-11-0005-01||Dismantling waste electrical and electronic equipment into constituents|
|Veolia Environmental Services (Fermoy)||W0050-02||Solvent reclamation/regeneration (fuel blending)|
|Treatment of contaminated metal packaging prior to recovery|
|Destination country||Tonnes exported 2015||Tonnes exported 2016|
|Year||Treated on-site of generation (tonnes)||Treated at commercial facilities (tonnes)||Exported for treatment (tonnes)|
|Waste Categories as per EWC-Stat Rev 4 (see separate Table for info)||Treated at commercial facilities in Ireland (tonnes) 2015||Treated on-site of generation (tonnes) 2015||Exported for treatment (tonnes) 2015||Treated at commercial facilities in Ireland (tonnes) 2016||Treated on-site of generation (tonnes) 2016||Exported for treatment (tonnes) 2016|
|1.2||Acid, alkaline or saline wastes||4,068||8,050||5,205||8,603|
|1.4||Spent chemical catalysts||147||115|
|2.1||Off-specification chemical wastes||2||13||110|
|2.13||Paints, varnish, ink and adhesive waste||1,840||4,350||1,652||3,800|
|2.14||Other chemical preparation waste||698||174||442|
|2.33||Packaging polluted by hazardous substances||585||3,726|
|2.3||Mixed chemical wastes||634||26||2,475||928||7,757|
|3.12||Oils/water emulsions sludges||18,574||135||424||17,521||197|
|3.13||Chemical reaction residues||8,394||3,672||15,601||2,598||4,016||14,920|
|3.14||Spent filtration and absorbent material||82||20||2,205||592||1,730|
|3.21||Industrial effluent sludges||4,393||1,425||6,691||10||1,185|
|3.22||Sludges containing hydrocarbons||845||674|
|3.31||Sludges from wastewater||966||5,624|
|5.11||Human infectious health care wastes||8,279||717||9,717||763|
|5.12||Animal infectious health care wastes||20||39|
|7.7||Waste containing PCB||49|
|8.2||Discarded electrical and electronic equipment||8,900||22,076||9,150||30,686|
|8.4||Batteries and accumlators||15,615||12,260|
|8.43||Other discarded machines and equipment components||413||831||2,423|
|10.2||Mixed and undifferentiated materials||445||1,200||510||1,201|
|12||Construction and demolition waste||1,399||928|
|12.31||Wastes of naturally occuring minerals||13||19,201||18,304|
|12.5||Various mineral waste||964||795|
|12.8||Waste from waste treatment||12,522||11,097|
|13.11||Solidified or stabilised waste||740||2,096|