EPA Waste Data Release, 26 October 2018
Latest Reference Year 2016
In 2016, Ireland surpassed the EU targets for collection of waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) and for recovery of all ten categories of WEEE.
WEEE collected and recovered, 2008 - 2016
The highchart above shows the trends in WEEE collected and WEEE recovered. Between 2008 and 2011 the tonnage of WEEE collected decreased due to the economic recession, as householders and businesses were not replacing electrical and electronic equipment (EEE) as frequently. The recovering economy is likely the driving force behind the increase in total WEEE collected from 2012 onwards.
- Ireland surpassed the EU targets for collection of household WEEE, and for recovery of WEEE of all ten categories of WEEE.
- The 2016 EU WEEE collection target is set at 45% of EEE placed on the market. In 2016, Ireland achieved a collection percentage of 52.
- More than 51,300 tonnes of WEEE (all categories, household and non-household) were collected for treatment.
- More than 49,500 tonnes of WEEE were recovered.
- 58 per cent of WEEE collected by weight comprised large household appliances.
- 68 per cent of the WEEE collected was treated in Ireland (although not necessarily final treatment).
There are ten categories of WEEE under the EU WEEE Directive, including large and small household appliances, IT and telecommunications equipment. There is high potential for reuse of EEE and recovery of the many valuable materials in WEEE (metal, plastic, glass, rare metals). Recovery activities include preparing for reuse, recycling, energy recovery and other recovery.
WEEE collected by cateory
Large household appliances accounted for 58% by weight of all WEEE collected in 2016
|Categories||EU recovery target||Ireland’s recovery percentage||EU preparation for reuse and recycling target||Ireland’s preperation for reuse and recycling percentage|
|1||Large household appliances||85%||97%||80%||84%|
|2||Small household appliances||75%||96%||55%||76%|
|3||IT and telecommunications equipment||80%||97%||70%||95%|
|5a||Gas discharge lamps||Not applicable||88%||80%||88%|
|6||Electrical and electronic tools||75%||96%||55%||76%|
|7||Toys, leisure and sports equipment||75%||96%||55%||78%|
|9||Monitor and control instruments||75%||96%||55%||77%|