Article 11 Declaration on Waste Authorisations

Waste disposal and recovery activities generally require waste authorisation.  Which type of authorisation is required is dictated by the classes of waste activity listed in the Third Schedule of the Waste Management (Facility Permit and Registration) Regulations, 2007 (S.I. No. 821 of 2007), as amended in 2008 (S.I. No. 86 of 2008). 

Authorisation comes in three forms:-

  • certificate of registration (for activities listed in Part II of the Third Schedule);
  • waste facility permit (for activities listed in Part I of the Third Schedule); or
  • waste licence (all other activities).

If you are unsure as to which type of authorisation you require - i.e. waste licence, waste facility permit, certificate of registration or none of these - you may make a request to the Agency to determine the question for you in advance of making an application for authoristion.  Any such request should be made in accordance with Article 11 of the Waste Management (Facility Permit and Registration) Regulations, 2007 as amended.  The Agency may consult with a local authority in reaching its determination.

The Agency has developed a new on-line form for making an Article 11 request. To launch the Article 11 online request form, you will need to "Log In" or "Sign Up" via the EDEN portal (

NOTE: If you are a first time user of the EDEN portal you will need to create a user login account using the "Sign Up" option, and follow the instructions provided. On registration, you should also request access to the Article 11 module.  You will only need to register once; after which you can log in via the EDEN portal to launch the Article 11 module when needed. There are extensive user instructions in the ‘Help’ section of the EDEN portal site and there is guidance document on how to Register for Eden at the following link     If you require further assistance in relation to technical issues or queries on EDEN registration, please contact the EPA via the following email address:  Once your registration has been approved, you can log into EDEN and launch the Article 11 application, from where you can complete the request form and submit it electronically to the Agency. 

Who can make an Article 11 Request?

A private sector operator may make a request for a determination in advance of making an application for a Waste Licence, Waste Facility Permit, or Certificate of Registration Application.

A Local Authority may make a request  in respect of its own waste activities in advance of making an application to the Agency for a Waste Licence or Certificate of Registration Application.

A Local Authority may upon receipt of an application from a private sector operator for a Waste Facility Permit, or Certificate of Registration,  refer a request to the Agency for a determination where it has doubts as to whether the correct authorisation has been applied for.

A determination from the Agency in accordance with Article 11 is final.

Frequently Asked Questions on Article 11

Below is a list of frequently asked questions (FAQs) on Article 11 to help you understand the topic in more detail, before submitting your on-line Article 11 request.

Article 11 FAQ

What information do I need before I submit my Article 11 on-line request?

Below is a list of essential information that you should have to hand before completing your Article 11 request.

Essential Art 11 Information

How can I make an Article 11 Request?

A request should be submitted to the Agency using the Article 11 on-line form which you can access at the following link once you have "Signed Up" on Eden

Please note that the Article 11 hardcopy form is now obsolete.

When will I receive a Determination on my Request?

The Agency will notify the requester (whether private sector operator or local authority) of its determination within 15 working days of receipt of a completed request.

If you require additional information, contact the EPA's Environmental Licensing Programme at:-

Office of Environmental Sustainability,
PO Box 3000,
Johnstown Castle Estate,
County Wexford
Tel: Locall 1890 33 55 99 or 053 91 60600; Fax 053 91 60699.