What's happening with air quality?
Ireland should move towards achieving the health-based WHO air quality guidelines
- Air quality in Ireland is generally good, however, there are concerning localised issues that are impacting the air we breathe.
- Ireland met all of its EU legal requirements in 2021, but it did not meet the new health-based WHO guidelines in 2021.
- Ireland and Europe should move towards achieving the health-based WHO air quality guidelines.
- It is estimated that there are approximately 1,300 premature deaths annually in Ireland due to poor air quality from fine particulate matter (PM5).
- The choices we make in how we heat our homes and how we travel directly impact the quality of the air we breathe.