Browse by Licensing & Permitting

in: Waste

Environmental Data Exchange Network (EDEN)

EDEN is the EPA's online web portal for Local Authorities and licensees to communicate with the EPA on numerous applications.

icon respresenitng waste factory

Waste Licensing

The EPA licenses certain activities in the waste sector. These include Landfills, transfer stations, hazardous waste disposal, ship recycling and other significant waste disposal and recovery activities. Select the links below to navigate to these topic areas.

icon respresenitng waste factory

Article 11

Article 11 is a request submitted to the EPA seeking assistance in identifying/making determination as to what the appropriate waste authorisation that may be required for a facility to operate

icons representing a process

End of Waste (Article 28)

This page aims to help you to understand the concept of end-of-waste and consider whether to apply for end-of-waste status for your recovered/recycled material(s). Make a good quality application to the EPA, if you decide that it is appropriate to apply for end-of-waste status.

icon representing landfill

Historic Landfill

The Environmental Protection Agency is obliged to process applications from local authorities in relation to ‘closed landfills’ in accordance with the Waste Management (Certification of Historic Unlicensed Waste Disposal and Recovery Activity) Regulations, 2008. A ‘closed landfill’, also commonly referred to as a historic landfill,

Rubbish in a bin

Certificate of Registration (COR)

When these activities are carried out by local authorities, the EPA can grant a certificate of registration as authorisation for the activity. Find out more by selecting the links below.

Latest publications in Waste

A photograph of WEEE
A guidance document

Guidance for applicants on the planning documentation required for licence applications

Application screening for compliance with Section 87(1B) of the EPA Act 1992 (IE/IPC) / Section 42(1B) of the Waste Management Act 1996 (Waste)

EPA Publication Cover
Do I need a Waste Licence or Certificate of Registration

For Local Authorities

A document to assist in deciding if you require a Waste Licence or a Certificate of Registration

EPA Publication Cover
Do I need a Waste Licence, Permit or Certificate of Registration?

For Private Sector

Reference material to assist you in deciding if you require a Waste Licence, Waste Permit or a Certificate of Registration.

Latest News and Press Releases

in: Waste
EPA calls for urgent action to address Ireland’s rising waste volumes and falling recycling rates

Date released: December 02, 2021

Waste generation in Ireland continues to rise while recycling rates are falling, according to the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) National Waste Statistics Summary Report for 2019 (insert link), which publishes the most recent official data on waste generation and management in Ireland. The report reveals some worrying trends.

More packaging waste, falling recycling rates for plastic and a heavy reliance on export mean that Ireland is missing opportunities to foster a circular economy.

Date released: September 09, 2021

The EPA has today published its latest figures on packaging waste in Ireland. They indicate that Ireland generated over 1.1 million tonnes of packaging waste in 2019, up 11 per cent on 2018.

EPA announces draft National Hazardous Waste Management Plan 2021-2027 is now open for public consultation.

Date released: July 16, 2021

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) today published the draft National Hazardous Waste Management Plan 2001-2007 and associated Strategic Environmental Assessment and Appropriate Assessment. These documents are open for public consultation until 17 September 2021.