Making an objection

What is an objection?

When the EPA issues a proposed determination on a licence application or review, anyone can make an objection to it in the form of written comments or observations.

Who can make an objection?

Anyone (including the applicant) can make an objection to a proposed determination on a licence application or review.

When can I make an objection?

You may lodge an objection within 28 days of the EPA giving notice of the proposed determination (the period 24 December to 1 January inclusive is disregarded when calculating the set period). The objection must be made by 5pm on the last day for receipt of objections.

The EPA may not accept objections received outside this period.

How can I make an objection?

You can make an objection:

  • on-line- search for the relevant licence above and make the objection; or
  • in writing to the Environmental Protection Agency, P.O. Box 3000, Johnstown Castle Estate, Co. Wexford.

Note: Due to current Covid 19 restrictions it is preferable to submit objections on-line and not to post objections to the EPA Office.

What should I submit as part of my objection?

Your objection must state:

  • your name and address;
  • the reference number of the application;
  • the subject matter of the objection; and
  • the grounds for the objection and the reasons, consideration and arguments on which they are based.

Your objection must be accompanied by:

  • any documents you consider necessary and relevant; and
  • the appropriate fee.

Attachments should:

  • be in Microsoft Word, pdf, ZIP or image (Jpeg, Bmp, Tif or Gif) format;
  • not be greater than 4 Megabytes; and
  • not include any personal data (such as phone number, e-mail address, home address, postcode, etc).

You may also request an oral hearing of your objection. This request must be in writing and be accompanied by an oral hearing request fee in addition to the objection .

Objections will be made available to the public. Please be aware that statements included in an objection, that could be viewed as defamatory could result in legal proceedings against the person who made that statement. Please note that if proceedings are brought against the Agency for any allegedly defamatory statements made, the Agency may seek indemnity from the person who made that statement. Please limit submissions or observations to points of relevance to the decision to be made by the Agency.

What are the fees?

The fees for objections and requesting an oral hearing are:





Third party


Reduced fee (see below)


Oral hearing requests


Waivers and refunds for objections fees may be allowed in certain limited circumstances.

For information on refund or waiver of fees see Article 9(1) of the EPA (Licensing Fees) Regulations 2013

What happens after I make an objection?

Your objection will be:

  • acknowledged; and
  • published and available to view on indefinitely.

In arriving at our decision, we will consider the application and all objections, submissions received and, where an oral hearing has been held, the report and recommendation of the person/s who conducted the hearing.

You cannot elaborate further on your objection in later correspondence.

The applicant and those submitting a valid objection will be issued with a copy of all valid objections.

Submissions in relation to an objection can be made within one month of copies of the objection being circulated.

We cannot consider submissions on objections received after this one-month period and cannot consider further submissions or elaborations.

We may, in the interests of justice and where in particular circumstance we consider appropriate, to request a party to an objection to make a submission in relation to any matter arising in the course of the objection.

Where appropriate, we may request a party to an objection to submit further information.

You can subscribe to email updates on the licence application through RSS Feeds.

You will receive a copy of the final decision.

The decision will be made available for inspection on this website and published in a newspaper circulating in the locality of the facility within seven days of issuing the decision.

Once a Decision has issued, a person can apply to the High Court and seek a judicial review of the validity of the Decision.

Can I withdraw an objection?

You can withdraw your objection at any time prior to it being considered by the Board of the Agency.

What happens if no objection is made?

Where no valid objection is made within the prescribed period, we will issue our decision as per the Proposed Determination.

Learn More

All documentation received in respect of a licence application is available to view on this website. Find out more about Public access to licensing files.

Find out more about how to request an oral hearing

For further information, contact our Environmental Licensing Programme at:

Office of Environmental Sustainability,
PO Box 3000
Johnstown Castle Estate
County Wexford
Telephone Locall 0818 33 55 99 or 053 91 60600