Product Certification

What is product certification?

Apply for a Product Certificate



Contact us


What is product certification?

On request, the EPA issues certificates to show that the radioactivity content of Irish foodstuffs and other produce is below the requirements of the importing country.

Who requires a product certificate?

Anyone who produces food or drinks products for export may require a product certificate from the EPA, officially called a Certificate of Radioactivity Measurement.

Why would a product certificate be required?

Sometimes the country to which Irish products are being exported will legally require a product certificate before allowing that produce to be imported.

What products require certification?

Food and drinks products for export may require certification. The EPA regularly certifies:

  • beef
  • lamb
  • pork
  • milk powders
  • pharmaceutical products
  • dairy products and
  • a range of processed foods
Why is there demand for certificates which show the radioactivity content of Irish foods?

Despite the extremely low levels of radioactivity found in Irish produce, there is a continuing demand from several importing countries for this type of certification. This was initiated after the 1986 Chernobyl accident and has continued to this day.


Apply for a Product Certificate

All applications for product certificates must be requested through our new online booking form:

Apply for a Product Certificate

Check out our video below!

How To – Online Product Certificate Application


The EPA provides a testing and certification service to exporters of Irish produce. The certificates provided show the radioactivity content of the tested produce and these can be compared with the requirements of the importing country.

We regularly test and certify the products listed above. If the product you want tested and certified is not on this list, please contact us to arrange analysis.

Certificates are issued based on the results of on-going monitoring and also on specific analysis carried out in the EPA laboratories. We monitor the levels of radionuclides in a range of food products and in the environment. We also analyse specific samples of the product to be exported.

Samples submitted for testing and certification should be accompanied by an Analysis Request Form.



Current product certification charges are provided below:

Description Unit Price Unit Price Inc VAT 23% (€)
Gamma Spectrometry (Standard1) 162.00 199.26
Gamma Spectrometry (Complex2) 302.00 371.46
Determine Gross Alpha Beta Activity 160.00 196.80
Determine Radon in Drink Water 65.00 79.95
Wipe Test 40.00 49.20
Issue of Product Certification3 (VAT not applicable) 59.00 N/A
  • Caesium-134 and caesium-137.
  • Other gamma-emitting radionuclides.
  • Changes to previously issued certificates are charged at the same rate.


Contact us

If you have any general or technical queries about certification-related matters that are not answered on our website, please do not hesitate to contact us.


Certification Service

EPA Certification Service

McCumiskey House


Clonskeagh Road

Dublin 14

D14 YR62

Telephone (01) 268 0100
Opening Hours 9.00am to 5.00pm