EPA Waste Data Release, 26 October 2017
Latest Reference Year 2015
In 2015, Ireland surpassed the EU targets for collection of household waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) and recovery of all ten categories of WEEE.
WEEE collected and recovered, 2008 - 2015
The highchart above shows the trends in WEEE collected and WEEE recovered. Between 2008 and 2011 the tonnage of WEEE collected decreased due to the economic recession, as householders and businesses were not replacing electrical and electronic equipment (EEE) as frequently. The recovering economy is likely the driving force behind the increase in total WEEE collected from 2012 onwards.
- Ireland surpassed the EU targets for collection of household WEEE and recovery of all ten categories of WEEE.
- 8.6 kg of household WEEE were collected per person (EU target is 4 kg per person).
- 8,626 tonnes of WEEE (all categories, household and non-household) were collected for treatment.
- 45,576 tonnes of WEEE were recovered.
- 54 per cent of WEEE collected by weight comprised large household appliances.
- 64 per cent of the WEEE collected was treated in Ireland (although not necessarily final treatment).
- Of WEEE exported for treatment, 99.8 per cent was exported to treatment facilities in EU Member States.
- New EU targets will come into force for 2016 reference year and onwards.
There are ten categories of WEEE under the EU WEEE Directive, including large and small household appliances, IT and telecommunications equipment. There is high potential for reuse of EEE and recovery of the many valuable materials in WEEE (metal, plastic, glass, rare metals). Recovery activities include preparing for reuse, recycling, energy recovery and other recovery.
WEEE collected by cateory
Large household appliances accounted for 46% by weight of all WEEE collected in 2015
|Categories||EU recovery target||Ireland’s recovery rate||EU reuse & recycling target||Ireland’s reuse and recycling rate|
|1||Large household appliances||80%||93%||75%||83%|
|2||Small household appliances||70%||93%||50%||78%|
|3||IT and telecommunications equipment||75%||94%||65%||81%|
|5a||Gas discharge lamps||Not applicable||92%||80%||92%|
|6||Electrical and electronic tools||70%||93%||50%||79%|
|7||Toys, leisure and sports equipment||70%||94%||50%||81%|
|9||Monitor and control instruments||70%||93%||50%||78%|