Licensing - Petrol Storage & Distribution (VOC permits)

The Environmental Protection Agency oversees regulations to control volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions resulting from petrol storage and distribution terminals.

We issue VOC permits under the Environmental Protection Agency Act, 1992 (Control of volatile organic compound emissions resulting from the storage of petrol and its distribution) Regulations, 1997 S.I. No. 374 of 1997.

Petrol storage installations involved in the loading of petrol into, or unloading of petrol from, mobile containers are required to apply for a permit.

What you must do

Permit holders must implement various measures to prevent and reduce emissions, such as the use of reflective paint, floating roof seals, and vapour recovery.

The permit also details specifications for bottom loading, vapour collection and overfill protection equipment, as well as emission limit values and monitoring requirements for vapour recovery equipment.

Larger installations, with throughput of over 25,000 tonnes a year, have been permitted since 31st December 2001.

Installations with throughput under 25,000 tonnes were required to apply for a permit by 31 June 2004, and were required to comply with the regulations by 31 December 2004.

Learn more

Search for a VOC permit  on this website or find out  how to apply for  a VOC permit.

Find out about other VOCs under Solvents and the Decorative Paints including regulations for activities such as Dry Cleaners, Vehicle Refinishers and the control of paint products. 


For further information contact our Environmental Licensing Programme at:

Office of Environmental Sustainability
PO Box 3000
Johnstown Castle Estate
County Wexford
Telephone Locall 1890 33 55 99 or 053 91 60600