Radiation Protection Adviser (RPA)
The Ionising Radiation Regulations (2019) requires undertakings to seek advice from a radiation protection adviser (RPA) within their areas of competence on certain issues. The issues on which consultation with an RPA is required include:
- The examination and testing of protective devices and measuring instruments.
- The design and construction of any new buildings or facilities.
- Modifications to any existing buildings or facilities.
- Changes to the use of any buildings or adjoining buildings where radiation is used.
- The acquisition of any new X-ray units or radioactive sources.
- Implementation of new procedures involving any licensed item.
- The estimation of doses to workers and members of the public.
- The regular calibration of measuring instruments.
- The commissioning and acceptance into service of new licensed items.
- The development of appropriate quality assurance programmes.
How to apply to be included on the register